Is Mold Making You Sick?
SICK OF MOLD
We've all witnessed mold appear in our homes sometime in our live's, whether its in our attics, basements, bathroom's, we see it everywhere.
When we see mold, we are disgusted and worried for our loved ones health. The last thing you want is your new born baby girl/boy breathing in these toxic microscopic mold spores while taking a nap.
Should you find a little mold in your home that's under 10 square feet, we have some home remedies to properly get rid of your mold issue.
- The best way to eradicate mold is to clean and dry the surface properly.
- In case of green or black mold removal on wooden surfaces, place those wooden objects in the sunlight.
- Few cleaning agents used for mold removal affects your wall and wooden surfaces. So use wood polish after mold removal process.
Vinegar is a great fungicide to remove mold from any surface. The best part about vinegar is that it does not stain the walls. There will be no side effects if you treat a particular surface with vinegar. Add Vinegar in a spray bottle,spray surface and wipe down with a damped towel. Repeat applying vinegar to the area until molds disappear from the area entirely. Use white distilled vinegar for the best results.
investing in a good dehumidifier is recommended. Get the best dehumidifier available at the market and use it regularly to control mold growth.
Should you come across a large amount of MOLD... Call SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach (310) 939-9293
Stay Disaster Ready With Commercial Property Insurance
If you’re running a business, and haven’t taken Commercial Property Insurance in consideration, you’re taking a huge risk. And here’s why:
- Most insurers offer comprehensive, business pack insurance bundles – it’s never been simpler to cover your property’s entire contents. You’re missing out on protection for your materials, tools and other operational equipment.
- Today’s business environment is far too unpredictable – With the nature of 2018’s economic environment becoming significantly less predictable by the month, can you really afford not to be covered?
Never assume that every aspect of your small business is covered. When consulting a Commercial Property insurance professional, you will be able to ask questions and they will look deeper into the fine print. An insurance professional will be able to confirm that there’s a mutual understanding of inclusions and exclusions, and what you need protected is specifically mentioned in the cover.
With a general business insurance policy, there will often be categories such as flood damage and sensitive conditions to look out for. For example, things like whether your building is classed as residential or not.
Commercial Property Emergency Plans
The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile Advantage
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
7 Common Fire Starters
Stay Fire Proof
House fires have a pattern—they start in some places more than others. Based on research from fires that occurred between 2010 and 2018, here are the most common places fires begin:
Half of all house fires start in the kitchen. That’s no surprise since it’s where you do the most cooking and house many appliances. This is an easy place to prevent fires since they’re normally man-made. Just keep an eye on the oven, combustible items away from the stove, and you’ll already be safer.
About 7% of all structure fires start in the bedroom. The amount of objects in bedrooms has something to do with it. Mattresses for one, can be very flammable unless they’re new. If you have a mattress that was made before 2007, it probably doesn’t abide by the Federal Mattress Flammability Standard. All mattresses made after 2007 are flame retardant and held to a higher safety standard. Do yourself a favor and go buy one!
Like everything else, chimneys need to be cleaned. We suspect 6 percent of all house fires happen in chimneys because people neglect to have them serviced. Every time you have a fire, sap and ash from whatever you’re burning coats the inside of your chimney. Determine if your chimney needs to be cleaned by doing a scape test. Open the flue, put on protective glasses, and get a flashlight. Then, shine a light up the chimney and scrape the inside with something sharp. If the residue is 1/8 inches thick, schedule a cleaning. If residue is closer to 1/4 inch, don’t have another fire until your chimney is professionally cleaned.
#4: Living Room
Living rooms or family rooms often contain candles, fireplaces, electronics, and heating equipment. They also contain couches and other flammable items. Since 4 percent of house fires start in living rooms, we can assume these factors have something to do with it.
#5: Laundry Room
Laundry rooms are where 3 percent of all house fires begin. Dryer lint is a main cause of laundry room fire. If you don’t clean vents and filters regularly, the heat could cause lint to catch fire. Try not to run the washer or dryer when you’re not home in case something gets overheated and you need to act.
House fires start outside 3% of the time. This is where people keep grills, smoke, have bonfires, and light off fireworks. Just know that if you have a fire outside, it could catch onto your home if you’re not careful.
Attics aren’t always accessible, so you might not know what’s going on up there. Whether it’s a crawl space or a walk-up, make sure to hire someone or check it out yourself. Not everything in homes are done to code (if people choose the DIY route), so you might find dangerous wiring that needs fixing
Are You Up To Date With The New Mattresses?
Time For a New Mattress
New Federal Mattress Standard Details
A good night's sleep – that's what most consumers want from their mattress. On July 1, 2007, new mattresses will offer an additional, lifesaving benefit: better protection from a fire.
Mattresses manufactured on or after July 1, 2007 must meet the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission's (CPSC) flammability standard. The mandatory standard is designed to reduce the severity of mattress fires ignited by open flame sources such as candles, matches and lighters.
CPSC estimates that, once fully effective, the new federal flammability standard will prevent as many as 270 deaths and 1,330 injuries every year.
CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord calls the new standard an important layer of fire protection in the home.
"The new federal flammability standard limits the spread and intensity of a mattress fire," said CPSC Acting Chairman Nancy Nord. "That will give consumers valuable time to escape their homes if there's a fire and it will save lives."
The mandatory mattress rule, known as 16 CFR Part 1633, is a performance standard that limits the heat release in a mattress fire.
When shopping for a new mattress or mattress set, consumers should look for a label on the mattress stating that it meets the federal flammability requirement, and whether it is intended to be sold alone or with a specific foundation, such as a box spring.
Although this is an added layer of protection, consumers still need to keep in mind that increased fire resistance does not mean there is no fire risk. CPSC urges consumers to follow these important fire safety tips:
- Never smoke in bed.
- Do not allow kids to play with candles, lighters, matches or smoking materials.
- Do not fall asleep while a candle is burning.
- Extinguish candles before leaving the room.
- Have working smoke alarms on each level of the home and inside every bedroom.
- In case of fire, call 911 from a safe location.
Avoid Water Damage
Stay Dry at All Times
Water damage can be very stressful and expensive when an individual suffers from a loss. whether you have a broken pipe, water hoses, overflowing bathtubs, or broken toilets, its never a fun thing to experience. The most common causes of water damage are listed below to help avoid any water damage to your property in the near future.
- Busted Pipes/hoses is the number one source for water damage
The second most common cause of water damage? Accidents!
Overflowing bathtubs or broken toilets. The most common cause? Children! Those with kids i'm sure can relate
The third most common cause of water damage? Sewer backup!
– nasty! And the most common cause of this? Tree roots invading and clogging drain lines. Why? Because trees like the readily available fertilizer and water!
The fourth most common cause of water damage in the home? It’s long term basement humidity
What causes that? Hydrostatic pressure and aging infrastructure.
And last, but not least, the fifth most common cause of water damage? Flash flooding
This is the rarest type of water intrusion in the home. It occurs when you least expect it.
Did you know... SERVPRO has the technology to restore your valuable document's
In the aftermath of disaster, some of your most valued contents—documents, photographs, and books—could be lost forever. As a leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO knows that timely mitigation is the key to recovering damaged possessions. With years of experience and state-of-the-art technology, SERVPRO’s restoration professionals will help you recover your paper goods before it is too late.
Our Document Restoration Facility:
- Innovative: we use the latest vacuum freeze-drying method, as well as gamma irradiation technology for sterilizing
- Secure: managed by HIPPA Master-certified technicians, under 24/7 surveillance
- Digital: we use a computerized inventory system for digitizing your documents
- Flexible capacity - we can accommodate large commercial losses or small residential jobs
- Full Service: we offer a range of services including drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorization
Then SERVPRO document restoration team uses innovate vacuum freeze-drying techniques; in fact, we use the same freeze-drying methods used by the Library of Congress to dry valuable historic documents and books. Our vacuum freeze-drying process is the only method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and the General Services Administration (GSA).
Types of content:
- paper documents
- books and magazines
- manuscripts and files
- photographs, films, negatives, and microfiche
- blueprints and maps
Document Cleaning and Disinfecting
In many water damage situations, like sewage or flood water, documents will be exposed to bacteria, viruses, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. Our team uses a gamma irradiation process to safely and effectively sterilize your documents.
In the digital age, converting your paper files and photos to digital formats can have an invaluable impact on your business or home. With the help of SERVPRO’s restoration professionals to digitize your documents, you can save storage space and have access to your records at the touch of a button. And perhaps most important of all, you’ll have digital copies of your valuable documents that can’t be lost in a flood or fire.
How To Read a Water Meter
Learning how to read a water meter is a fairly simple task. A water meter typically consists of various easy to read dials...
New water meters are quite simple to read. They typically have three dials or indicators:
- A leak dial, which indicates if any water is running inside the property.
- A one cubic foot dial, which measures in increments up to one cubic foot.
- A cubic foot meter, which indicates the total historical water usage for the property.
An older water meter is harder to read in that it may have multiple dials. These dials each read in different increments of cubic feet, the largest registering 1,000,000 cubic feet. To understand your total water usage, you have add the totals in each dial. In the meter shown lower in this post all seven dials must be added in order to know how many cubic feet of water have been used historically, or for a certain period of time. Older water meters do not have one register that shows the complete total of use.
Be Ready For The Next Storm!
Pros and Cons of Installing Storm Windows
Winter can sometimes be a challenge—especially if your windows aren’t up to the task! To restore your comfort and drop those miserable heating costs, you might be considering window replacement this year.
What’s a Storm Window?
These are basically the same thing as, and perform a similar function to, a storm door. A storm window is an auxiliary window installed on the exterior (or occasionally interior) of your existing windows. The storm windows provide an added layer of both insulation and defense against storms and the bitter winter weather we experience once n a while in LA.
Is a Storm Window Installation the Right Choice for Me?
Well, it depends. Storm windows offer up a bunch of advantages, but they won’t fix every problem. The real answer is going to rely on a few important factors that are specific to your and your home. To help you get a better idea, let’s take a moment to look at the pros of storm windows, and the cons.
The Benefits of Installing Storm Windows
- Highly cost-effective. A storm window installation is much, much less costly than a total window replacement, making it a great option for homeowners on a bit of a budget, or looking to save up for a bigger replacement job in the future.
- A fast and easy solution. Window professionals can install storm windows in no time, making them a good “I need it now” option to reduce the chill of winter or to baffle the buffeting winds of a storm.
- Additional protection of existing windows. If you’re quite fond of your current windows and want to put off replacing/protect them against the elements, storm windows are ideal.
- Versatile. There are a lot of options for installing storm window, from track storm windows to magnetic. This means you’ve got a lot of options on what to choose, and how you want your storm windows to operate.
Living in sunny California we probably won't be in need of storm windows, but you just never know!
What is Water Damage?
The Power of Water
Water damage describes a large number of possible losses caused by water intruding where it will enable attack of a material or system by destructive processes such as rotting of wood, growth, rusting of steel, de-laminating of materials such as plywood, and many others.
When is comes to water damage, actions need to take place immediately! the longer you wait to call a professional out like SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach, the more likely you'll be dealing with a more expensive claim and causing more damage to your property.
Is Water Damage Covered By Homeowners Insurance?
In this case, your insurance policy will likely provide coverage. Most standard homeowners policies provide protection from water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. With our experience in the past, most home maintenance issues (like a leaking roof for example) wont be covered in a water loss.