Archived Storm Damage Blog Posts
What Can I Do To Prepare For A Storm?
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach services many types of disasters, these may vary from thunder, rain, or wind storms. The level of damages that these may cause may range from very minimal to severe cases. Nonetheless, we are here to help. California sees its share of rain storms each year, that leads to many homes taking in water damage causing floods throughout the state. There are many ways to prepare for a rain, wind, or thunder storm. The following are some helpful suggestions that could very well help you prevent or prepare for the unexpected arrival of a storm.
Helpful Storm Preparation:
- Inspecting roof & gutter conditions
- Regular upkeep of trees, bushes, & plants
- Inspecting window seals & trim
- Home insurance coverage is as desired
For further assistance with any questions, comments, or concerns you may have, we can be reached at (310)939-9293 or visit us on our website at SERVPROredondobeachmanhattanbeach.com. We look forward to speaking with you!
Preparing For High Winds
The South Bay Beach Cities has been dealing with random high winds lately. It's always a great idea to be prepared for unexpected high winds that can cause serious damages to your property or personal belongings.
We have large palm trees surrounding us here in the Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Manhattan Beach area's. Imagine standing outside of your house on a windy day and a 30 foot palm tree releases some palm tree fronds from 30 feet high directly on top of you, your car or the roof of your home... The outcome wouldn't be pretty.
It's always best to think about these situations and have some maintenance done before the unexpected arises.
Tips to Prepare For High Winds
- Bring in unsecure objects from outside and secure objects that can blow away and cause damages or injuries.
- Remove any dead trees or overhanging branches around your house or vehicles.
- Shutter windows securely and brace outside doors.
Storm Dangers & Preparedness
Storm Damage Repair Services
Heavy rain storms may endanger both lives & property. Rain storms are, in most cases, accompanied by heavy gusts of wind that can sweep away heavy items left outdoors or tear off loose & damaged portions of the property creating more damage than expected. If given the opportunity to prepare beforehand for a storm, one should definitely take any & all preventative measures to do so. Some beneficial tips on how to prevent increasing amounts of damage are as follows:
- Routine upkeep of front & back yard.
- Secure any miscellaneous items on property.
- Keep drains, downpipes, & gutters clean & free of any obstruction to prevent a clog or overflow.
- Have an emergency plan in place for all emergencies along with a first aid kit.
- Confirming your insurance policy is up to date & coverage is as desired.
Here at SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach we understand the severity of every and all emergencies, specially those that are unforeseen. Our team is emergency ready, 24 hours a day, ready for any size disaster. For any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to reach us at (310)939-9293 or check us out on our website at www.SERVPROredondobeachmanhattanbeach.com.
Spring Forward, Spring Ahead!
The beginning of Spring is just around the corner and the start of April showers will soon be here!
Thanks to Daylight Savings Time, South Bay beach cities can now experience breezy sunny weather for longer in the day. Gone are the days of leaving work to a dark sky! Additionally, the beginning of Spring is just around the corner and the start of April showers will soon be here.
See the below reasons why saving SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach’s contact information is the way to go!
- Speed & Efficiency: We provide same day tech arrival! Have an insurance claim? We make sure to update your insurance with our findings within 24 hours of the inspection. Water damage is a time sensitive manner and we make sure to work quickly while maintaining maximum efficiency.
- Knowledgeable & Approachable Technicians: We know your home is your investment. Our technicians are qualified and provide a compassionate helping hand when dealing with stressful home damage events.
- Accessible Job File Coordinators: Worried that you won’t be able to reach our technicians with any questions or concerns? Our techs are kind enough to carry their business cards with their company cell information. However, we also have office coordinators assigned to all files to readily answer questions, concerns, and provide updates!
- Preventative Measures: We not only pride ourselves in being there when disaster strikes. We value preventative measures to help the community’s home and commercial property owners avoid unpleasant surprises. Make sure to periodically check our website for new tips and resources to stay prepared!
Make sure to save our number, 310-939-9293. As always, see green & think clean! SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach has got you covered!
Protecting Your Property From Unexpected Rains
Beach residents can testify to the appeal of a sunny day. This expectation can lead some homeowners to fall short in preparing for unexpected rains.
Southern California residents are no stranger to our state’s dreamy sunlit weather. Our South Bay beach cities can testify to the appeal of an idealized sunny day at the pier with family or a relaxing bike ride along the shores. This expectation can lead some homeowners to fall short in creating a readiness plan when heavy rains strike. Continue reading for some tips to make sure you are ready for these surprises so you can better enjoy the pleasant beachy weather with ease.
Routine Gutter Maintenance
- Scheduled Gutter Checks: It is suggested to check your gutters AT LEAST twice a year. This will keep debris from piling up and clogging your gutters. This clogging could result in roof damage in the event of rain.
- Tree Maintenance: This includes trimming your trees to prevent leaves and debris from clogging your gutter. Additionally, keeping trees away from your gutters can eliminate the need for trimming.
Routine Downspout Maintenance
- Strategic Positioning: Keep gutters properly adjusted to allow the water to slope towards the downspout for draining.
- Proper Funneling: This also falls under strategic positioning. Make sure that the funnel sends the water away from your building to prevent water damage to the foundation of your property or from entering a garage/basement.
Routine Roof & AC Checks
- Consider sealing your roof desk to prevent rain intrusion.
- Check your air conditioning’s drain pipe to ensure proper drainage.
SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach is a local home and commercial restoration company that values the community’s property needs. You are able to rest assured knowing we are prepared to answer all water damage events, even in the most unexpected situations! Call today at 310-939-9293.
A Week of Rain in Southbay Beach Cities
"Homeowners may benefit from using the following steps to avoid any unpleasant emergencies from arising."
Photo Credit: Robert Couse-Baker
The weather report is forecasting a week of rain starting 12/22/21. Homeowners may benefit from using the following steps to avoid any unpleasant emergencies from arising.
- Check that all windows or openings to the home are closed and secured.
- Check your gutters to avoid clogging and overflow.
- Check that your roof is in good condition before rain is expected.
- Check that your landscaping and drainage systems are directing water away from your property’s foundation.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach wishes our community a cozy and safe winter rain season. We are happy to share these helpful tips so you, your family, and your property continue to thrive during this holiday season! Community members can rest assured knowing that we are on their side should the situation arise for restoration needs and emergencies! Call us at 310-939-9293
Storm Damage Insurance Tips
Be Ready and Document Everything
We all know that mother nature isn't a force to be reckoned with. From flash floods, thunderstorms, hurricanes, tsunamis, and earthquakes, all these natural disasters have history of causing millions of dollars in property damages and insurance claim expenses.
It's important to take the proper steps when dealing with your insurance and property damages. Always take lots of photos, keep your receipts if you're making temporary repairs, save the hotel invoice if you need to be relocated while repairs are being made. These are all just examples of how to document all expenses when dealing with your insurance.
If your neighbor's tree fell on your property and caused damages to your home or vehicle, its critical to let your insurance know about it right away. Your insurance will send out an adjuster to document and begin mitigation right away. Your insurance will then go after your neighbors insurance to pay for the damages.
Always make sure to do the walkthrough with your assigned adjuster to pinpoint anything that brings concern to you. You want to make sure the adjuster doesn't miss anything and properly documents everything for the claim so you can be fully compensated.
5 Storm Tips to Help Your Property From Damages
Storm Damage Cleanup & Restoration Team
Preparation is key! If we don't take the time and effort to inspect our property surroundings, we can be dealing with costly maintenance issue's. Heavy rains and strong winds can cause destruction, we all know mother nature is a force to be reckoned with.
Here are 5 tips you can do today to prevent damage to your home.
- Have your roof inspected every year: Inspecting your roof for any flaws is crucial. By doing so, you can save yourself thousands of dollars by preventing more costly damages when heavy rain comes in.
- Know how to shut off utilities: When a heavy storm comes around, you may have to shut off your utilities. Make sure where these utilities are located and how to properly shut them off.
- Clean your gutters: If your gutters aren't clear and heavy rain kicks in, you could have high risk of water damage to your home.
- Inspect the foundation of your home: Water creeps and will find its way into your property if cracks or gaps are surrounding the area. Inspect for any signs of cracks and gaps around your home to prevent water intrusion to your property.
- Dead trees and untrimmed branches: Inspect your yards for old/dead trees that need maintenance. The last thing you want is a 20 foot tree coming down crashing to your property due to heavy winds and heavy rain.
SERVPRO Storm Damage Restoration Services
Storm Damage Services
The severity of mother nature is unpredictable and can catch us unprepared, especially when living in Southern California. We tend to be unprepared when it comes to storms thinking it won't be as severe as a storm would be in the east coast. It's best to be prepared for the worst and always have a plan of action to execute when mother nature hits us hard.
What Storm Services to Expect From SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach
We specialize in storm damage restoration services and repair of your belongings. If you need emergency water extraction services, digital damage content inventory for your insurance, fallen tree removal, decontamination of sewage or microbial growth, or even provide roof tarping services when your insurance gets involved. We are here to assist and make it "Like it never even happened."
No matter where you're living in the United States, you're still at risk for potentially dangerous weather. Preparing for such a disaster and knowing what actions to take will help reduce the chances of injury or property damage.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when dealing with storms:
1. Develop an evacuation plan with transportation routes
2. Gather emergency supplies such as water and nonperishables
3. Stay out of flooded areas especially with downed power lines
4. Unplug all electrical appliances
5. Stay away from openings such as windows where debris can fly through
6. Remain calm and do not return home until authorities say it is safe
If you or anyone you know has suffered from any sort of property damage, don't hesitate to call SERVPRO to help make it, "Like it never even happened."
LA Storm Bringing Some Rain In Tuesday 3/9/21
Rain Damage Roof Leak
Los Angeles hasn't had much rain to start off the new year in 2021. Brace yourselves as we welcome in gusty winds and heavy rain starting this Tuesday and continuing to Thursday night. Los Angeles is expecting up to 1 to 1.5 inches of rain in most areas.
Rain itself usually doesn't cause structural damage; it's the water that gets in through roof damages, opened or damaged windows, uneven foundation, gaps in between doors, etc.
When rain water makes its way into your home is when things start to get serious. This water can lead to damages to your walls, floors, ceiling, causing water damage and even mold and mildew issues, all of which are very cost effective.
Having a roof tarp and sand bags stored in your garage for emergency purposes is a great way to be ready for heavy rain. Stay ready, have your roof inspected a few times out of the year to avoid any damages and secondary damages when the rain falls.
Storm Damage Response Team
Our wonderful team at SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach is working around the clock, 365 days out of the year to be ready when you need us most! As the preferred vendor for most major insurance carriers, our track record of results has given us a trustworthy reputation to help our locals or anyone in need of help in the Los Angeles County.
Damaging Wind Storms Across Southern California
Storm damage restoration
Through the first couple of weeks in February, Southern California has been experiencing severe winds causing damages to our properties.
During the winter time no matter where we live, we will always experience some type of storm damage. We should always be prepared with a plan of action for the unexpected. Whether we're dealing with damages to our roofs, a fallen tree, or fallen tree branches across our property, we need to stay ready for the worst and execute with a rapid response to avoid secondary damages.
Our team at SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach stay ready to respond to disasters 24/7/365! We have knowledgeable certified storm damage restoration technicians prepared to offer assessments, cleanup and repair services.
Our team is ready for any challenges and ready to execute when you need us most. We have experience working with massive storm damages to minor wind damages helping homeowners get their property back to pre loss conditions.
Have Storm or Flood Damage?
For more information on recovering from water damage caused by weather related disasters, or any other related causes, contact us 24/7/365 at
While the country has been focused on pandemic safety, it's always a good idea to remember what you will do in an emergency situation such as a storm.
During storm season make sure your doors and windows are secure to prevent any damage from wind or debris. Some damage may be unavoidable, but you can save yourself some time and money by simply closing shutters or covering openings with plywood if the situation calls for it.
Weatherproofing can also be a valuable asset while dealing with a violent storm. Make sure your gutters have been cleaned recently and that your drains aren't experiencing any problems.
If the power goes out, be sure you have a backup generator as well as candles to use. These tips are pretty simple to accomplish but have a lasting effect in the long run.
Stay safe out there and remember to contact your local SERVPRO if you have any questions! We're here for you 24/7.
MAY IS NATIONAL BUILDING SAFETY MONTH
The general public may not be aware of how codes and code officials " improve and protect the places where we live, learn, work, worship, and play, and in the month of May, it can certainly improve the awareness.
Some of the topics and tips shared throughout the month include storm disaster preparedness, construction professionals, and innovations in building safety. This month serves as an opportunity to educate the insurance and commercial property professionals, as well as the general public on, " what it takes to create safe, resilient, affordable, and energy sufficient homes and building," according to ICC website.
SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach offers emergency planning at no cost, a highly beneficial tool for any property/ business owner when dealing with the unexpected during a storm disaster, water loss, fire loss, etc. Call for more information at (310) 939-9293
Be Prepared For Spring Storms
Emergency Storm Damage Cleanup
SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach has been dealing with lots of phone calls in regards to rain water coming in through their damaged roof. Luckily our technicians are ready to respond to our local residents and businesses with their water damage properties.
Because spring storms can occur at any given moment and get really wet, we advise that you save our contact information since SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach is available for emergencies 24/7/365. The faster we make it out to your situation, the more money you save on claim expenses and customer downtime/ business interruptions.
We're Highly Trained Storm Damage Specialist
As water and storm damage specialists, we have the experience and advanced training that enables us to restore your property quickly. We use scientific drying principles and provide validation and documentation that your property is dry and the job is complete.
Tips on Protecting Your Redondo Beach/ Manhattan Beach Property From Heavy Rain
SERVPRO Available 24/7/365
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach stays ready for the community 24/7/365. We stay open for the Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach community, along with the rest of Los Angeles County when you need us most!
In today's blog we will be providing great TIPS on how to prevent damages to your property from heavy rain.
Now it may be impossible to stop every water issue, there are preventative measures you can do to protect your home or business from heavy rain. They include:
- Buying Sandbags. Sometimes your property may have certain areas that can accumulate lots of water due to poor drainage. Water can seep into your home and become a costly problem. Sandbags can be the cheapest and fastest solution until further action is taken.
- Install a sump pump. Sump pumps are very beneficial because they drain water from the interior of a structure to the outside when it comes in contact with water.
- Roof inspection prior to rain fall. We get so many calls during a storm because of a minor roof leak. Fixing issues as they arise can save you hundreds to thousands of dollars.
- Installing a backwater valve. This device is very beneficial because it prevents city sewers from backing up into your plumbing fixtures.
- Clean your rain gutters. Leaves, twigs, and other debris get cause and cause water damage issues. Always check to be safe.
Having The Right Insurance Coverage is key. Here's what to Know:
Emergency Storm Response For Insurance
We've responded to thousands of water/storm damage claims that were denied due to not having the right coverage. Don't be this person! Please talk with your local insurance agent on getting the proper coverage for your properties.
Please take to consideration that your homeowners insurance policy doesn't automatically include flood insurance. Always remember that flood insurance must be purchased as a separate policy. With water/storm damage being one of the most expensive claims in the insurance industry, we highly recommend to set up that appointment with your local agent.
Have your agent explain your options for flood insurance, don't be afraid to ask questions. Insurance agents are very helpful and can help you understand everything you need to know about coverage.
To be on the safe side, ask your local agent for drain backup or sewage backup coverage on your homeowners policy. Insurance can be tricky sometimes, adding this to your homeowners policy will provide coverage in case you have water or sewage backup into your property through sewers or drains.
Communication is everything, be sure to do some research and set up that appointment with a local insurance agent to help you purchase the right coverage policy.
Southern California Rain Storm
During the month of March, Southern California received a well needed rain storm that brought us over 3 inches of rain.
Most of us were sheltered at home and at the first sign of water intrusion SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach received calls from residents around our communities to get help for cleanup of water and mitigation of the damage.
At the same time we would like to remind all members of our community who own or manage commercial properties, and especially the ones that currently had to close due to the current COVID-19 stay at home order, that for the future convenience and health related workplace issues please do inspect inside the closed facilities and make sure there is no water intrusion from the rain storm of the last few days.
It is a good idea to mitigate and repair any damaged area now than to face a delayed discovery of water which can become mold if it stays unrecognized.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach responds 24/7 to all storm related emergency calls in this lockdown situation of Los Angeles County.
We are pleased to announce that we are taking all possible precautionary measures to keep our job site, employees and customers safe and free from contamination of the current Covid-19 pandemic.
For any emergency water or flood damage please call our 24/7 emergency number at 310-939-9293.
Southern California Fire Season is Considered Storm Season too!
We are blessed! We live in the best part of the world, in our daily tasks we are brought to communicate with people around the country and as soon as we name our place of work or residence we get a complement of such beautiful weather we have.
But then we remember our fire season This is constant concern for us, let’s prepare ourselves, we cannot prevent natural disasters, but we can do our part to prevent extension of disasters to our neighborhoods.
California fires usually start with a brush fire then extend to our neighborhoods. Wouldn’t then they be considered storms?
What can we do to prevent the storm? The strong winds that blow the initial brush fire are Mother Nature’s decision but we can look around our neighborhood and report dead trees or extended areas of dry brush to authorities, like the natural park patrols or our city landscape department. If each of us does our part we may get some collective benefit.
Otherwise we need to stay informed, and prepare: California authorities have great resources to allow us to be prepared and prevent damages to our properties.
The Ready, Set, Go Compiegne is a valuable resource to checkout:
Let’s be prepared and save the number of your local SERVPRO® in your contacts. This is also part of the preparedness. Save our number and call us, because no matter how big the storm, causing fire, water or both, we are here to help.
EVACUATING Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach
If you live near the coast or in a flood-prone area, you may be asked to evacuate. Your PLAN should include researching your evacuation route and making moves in advance with family or friends for a safe place to stay.Area public shelters are for people who have no other place to go. If you must stay in a shelter, listen to news broadcasts for announcements of shelter openings. Shelter volunteers do their best to make you comfortable, but a shelter is not a very comfortable place. Stay with friends or relatives if at all possible.
- Those with special medical needs (oxygen, etc.) should go to special needs shelters only. Special needs shelters do not provide hands-on medical care, only medical monitoring.
- Only service animals are permitted in public shelters. Shelters that allow pets are limited, so other arrangements should be made for your pets.
- Bring food and snacks. Meals may not be available during the first 24 hours.
- Bring your identification, personal belongings and medications in their original containers.
- Bring blankets/sleeping bags, pillows. Those are either not provided or limited in supply.
- Bring cards/games/books to pass the hours.
- Bring flashlights and a battery operated radio or TV with extra batteries for all.
- Stay inside and follow directions that are given for your comfort and safety.
California Tropical Storm in 1939...
Living in Southern California we hardly-never deal with any tropical storms. Although we did have a severe storm back in 1939, better known as the great 1939 Long Beach Tropical Storm, El Cordonazo. This tropical cyclone hit Southern California in the month of September 1939.
El Cordonazo was the only tropical storm to make landfall in Southern California in the twentieth century.The tropical storm caused severe flooding, leaving many dead, mostly at sea, and caused about 2 million in damages. Starting on September 15, 1939 and ending in September 25th, 1939, El Cordonazo started South in the North Western Mexico area and made its way up north to Long Beach California.
Even though us Californians see sunny clear blue skies most of the time, we should never doubt a severe storm coming our way. We should always be prepared for the worst and have some reliable resources available for our family and loved ones.
Preparing Your Pets For Mother Nature
Keep My Pets Safe and Ready
California has been known to be sunny and warm, with clear blue skies, without any worries of severe weather. Although we have the best weather in the world! we should never doubt severe storms in the winter season. We must keep our loved ones safe and prepared for the worst, including our pets!
Pet Safety in Emergencies:
- Prepare a disaster kit for your pets so evacuation will go smoothly for your entire family.
- Plan where you and your pet will stay in case you need to evacuate your home. Pets may not be allowed in local shelters, unless they are service animal. (JFYI... Red Cross shelters don't allow pets)
- Create a buddy system in case you’re not home during an emergency. Ask a trusted neighbor who can check on your pets and can evacuate if necessary.
- Practice evacuations with your pets so they have an idea of where to go and what to do.
10 Day Forecast in Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Fun Weather Coming
Los Angeles County had a great raining season in which we needed. The last couple of months it actually felt like winter here in Los Angeles. Living in the beach cities we expect to see clear skies and the sun beaming on us everyday!
SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach had their hands full by answering your emergency phone calls for help, due to the wet season. Our team was working around the clock 7 days out of the week to insure we had you covered.
Now with the calming of the storm, SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach can recharge and stay ready for your needs. Until then, we have an amazing 10 day forecast coming ahead of us. Expect cool temperatures in the mid 60's- low 70's, partly cloudy, in the next 10 days... With Coachella this weekend and the Long Beach Grand Prix 2019, we are sure of great weather coming our way for fun in the sun!
Los Angeles Stay Ready For The Next Storm!
RAIN IS ON ITS WAY LOS ANGELES
Its Friday April 5th, 2019! and if you live in the Los Angles County, you got hit with light rain overnight. Nothing outrageous, just a baby storm moistening our streets. This unexpected round of precipitation was just the tip of the iceberg before this weekend's storm heading our way.
Southern California we hope you're ready! SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach stays READY! We should be expecting another storm coming in tonight, Friday April 5th 2019, expected to drop one third to an inch of rain in our beaches over the weekend.
If you were planning on going out, you might want to think twice since this LA weather is on shuffle! Expect minor flooding, winds of 30-45 mph, possible debris/tress down.
If you're in need of water damage repair call us at 310-939-9293 SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach can help with a rapid response to help eliminate any secondary damages to your property.
Did you know... SERVPRO has the technology to restore your valuable document's
In the aftermath of disaster, some of your most valued contents—documents, photographs, and books—could be lost forever. As a leader in the restoration industry, SERVPRO knows that timely mitigation is the key to recovering damaged possessions. With years of experience and state-of-the-art technology, SERVPRO’s restoration professionals will help you recover your paper goods before it is too late.
Our Document Restoration Facility:
- Innovative: we use the latest vacuum freeze-drying method, as well as gamma irradiation technology for sterilizing
- Secure: managed by HIPPA Master-certified technicians, under 24/7 surveillance
- Digital: we use a computerized inventory system for digitizing your documents
- Flexible capacity - we can accommodate large commercial losses or small residential jobs
- Full Service: we offer a range of services including drying, cleaning/disinfecting, re-jacketing, digitizing, and deodorization
Then SERVPRO document restoration team uses innovate vacuum freeze-drying techniques; in fact, we use the same freeze-drying methods used by the Library of Congress to dry valuable historic documents and books. Our vacuum freeze-drying process is the only method approved by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and the General Services Administration (GSA).
Types of content:
- paper documents
- books and magazines
- manuscripts and files
- photographs, films, negatives, and microfiche
- blueprints and maps
Document Cleaning and Disinfecting
In many water damage situations, like sewage or flood water, documents will be exposed to bacteria, viruses, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. Our team uses a gamma irradiation process to safely and effectively sterilize your documents.
In the digital age, converting your paper files and photos to digital formats can have an invaluable impact on your business or home. With the help of SERVPRO’s restoration professionals to digitize your documents, you can save storage space and have access to your records at the touch of a button. And perhaps most important of all, you’ll have digital copies of your valuable documents that can’t be lost in a flood or fire.
Be Ready For The Next Storm!
Pros and Cons of Installing Storm Windows
Winter can sometimes be a challenge—especially if your windows aren’t up to the task! To restore your comfort and drop those miserable heating costs, you might be considering window replacement this year.
What’s a Storm Window?
These are basically the same thing as, and perform a similar function to, a storm door. A storm window is an auxiliary window installed on the exterior (or occasionally interior) of your existing windows. The storm windows provide an added layer of both insulation and defense against storms and the bitter winter weather we experience once n a while in LA.
Is a Storm Window Installation the Right Choice for Me?
Well, it depends. Storm windows offer up a bunch of advantages, but they won’t fix every problem. The real answer is going to rely on a few important factors that are specific to your and your home. To help you get a better idea, let’s take a moment to look at the pros of storm windows, and the cons.
The Benefits of Installing Storm Windows
- Highly cost-effective. A storm window installation is much, much less costly than a total window replacement, making it a great option for homeowners on a bit of a budget, or looking to save up for a bigger replacement job in the future.
- A fast and easy solution. Window professionals can install storm windows in no time, making them a good “I need it now” option to reduce the chill of winter or to baffle the buffeting winds of a storm.
- Additional protection of existing windows. If you’re quite fond of your current windows and want to put off replacing/protect them against the elements, storm windows are ideal.
- Versatile. There are a lot of options for installing storm window, from track storm windows to magnetic. This means you’ve got a lot of options on what to choose, and how you want your storm windows to operate.
Living in sunny California we probably won't be in need of storm windows, but you just never know!
Not All Water Damage is The Same
Mother Nature at Work
When dealing with a water damage at your property, we don't really think about the different types of categories classified.
When a sewage back up causes a flood, or a storm hit your home with 3 inches of rain, or just a refrigerator main line leak, we just think its water. In this blog we will discuss the steps to be taken with dealing with the unexpected.
Restoration Depends on Water Type
Specific steps must be taken to reduce property destruction, depending on the type of water damage. According to the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC), who sets the standards for the cleaning industry and water damage restoration training, there are three levels or types of water involved in damages. They include:
Category 1: Clean water
This water damage is from sanitary sources, such as an overflowing sink or tub, burst water pipes, failed supply lines to appliances, drinking fountains, or vertical falling rainwater.
Category 2: Grey water
This water is from sources that could make you uncomfortable or ill if ingested. Washing machine, dishwasher, or urine-tainted toilet overflows belong in this category.
Category 3: Black water
This is the worst classification of water and could cause severe illness if ingested. Sewer backups, flooded rivers, feces-tainted toilet overflows, or stagnant liquid that has bacterial growth are all examples of black water.
Let the Experts Save Your Home and Belongings
Seeping water damage is progressive, pervasive and can mean valuable objects or keepsakes may become permanently damaged. The professionals you find at SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach are trained on how to handle the various types of water damage. Once they arrive on the scene at a home or business, they quickly assess the situation and start the restoration process in these three areas:
- Aggressive cleaning: Wall cavities and other surfaces are cleaned with a detergent solution. Salvageable materials are flushed and thoroughly disinfected.
- Moisture detection: Not all water damage is visible to the naked eye. Water trapped in structural cavities may require sophisticated detection equipment to mitigate odors, prevent mold growth and minimize structural damage.
- Rapid Structural Drying: Mold begins growing on soggy surfaces within only 24 to 48 hours. Rapid drying, all the way down to the building’s substructure, is necessary to restore pre-flood conditions.
After your home floods, you may think your home and its contents are beyond hope, but many of your furnishings and belongings can be restored. With professional restoration help, your flooded home can be cleaned up, dried out, rebuilt, and reoccupied sooner than you think.
If you or your insured clients experience a water or flood disaster, look for SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach… You can count on us to answer your questions and take prompt action to save your home and belongings.
The Storms of 1952-53 in Redondo/Manhattan Beach
We cant always have beautiful weather...
One of the worst storms in Redondo/Manhattan Beach history pounded the city’s north coast during the period from December 31, 1952 through January 13, 1953.
At least 18 structures were destroyed, most of them houses and apartment buildings along The Strand. A section of Hermosa Avenue about 75 feet long was taken out by the surging waters. (Hermosa Avenue was the main thoroughfare through the area before King Harbor was built and the street became Harbor Drive.) Crews repairing the missing section of road encountered holes as deep as 14 feet that needed to be filled. In addition, Hermosa and other nearby streets were filled with rocks and debris from the seawall and existing breakwater that had been hurled ashore by the waves.
We never know when we might see another severe storm like the storms from 1952-53(knock on wood) But if we do... always remember that SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach
will always be available for emergency services around the clock, 365 days a year. Dont forget to store our emergency contact # in your cell phone's (310)939-9293
Steps To Take Immediately After a Storm Damage
Storm damage can occur at any time and can cause an immense amount of harm to your home. Heavy rains can cause flooding and powerful winds can cause roof damage and downed trees on your property. Some post-storm damage can create safety and health hazards as well, so having a strategy to deal with damage will help you to be ready to take steps immediately after the storm.
Take Safety Precautions
Heavy winds and rain can create physical hazards such as collapsed roofing materials, window damage, collapsed walls or standing water in the basement or home interior. In addition, moisture can soak into furniture, carpeting, and building materials making the perfect environment for mold growth that can cause health issues. Shut off the main gas line if you smell gas. Beware of broken glass, exposed nails, and other sharp objects on the property.
Photograph the Damage
If it is safe to move around your property, use your cellphone or a camera to photograph the damage so that you will have a record for your insurance company. This action will ensure that you are fully compensated.
Contact Your Insurance Company and SERVPRO
Contact your insurance agent to notify them about the damage to your home immediately. The company will send out an adjuster to determine the extent of the damage so that payment for repairs can be made. SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach works with most major insurance companies, we have experience working with adjusters to get the balls rolling, so we can get your home back to preloss conditions as quick as possible. we'll make it "Like it never even happened"
Look Into Federal Disaster Assistance
The federal government may have declared the area affected by the storm as a disaster area that is eligible for low-cost loans to help restore your property to normal. You will be required to file documents to receive these loans.
When a storm-related disaster strikes, it may seem overwhelming, but these steps can help you to begin the process of restoring your home, and your life, to normal. At SERVPRO we provide 24-hour emergency disaster service. We specialize in the stabilization and restoration of homes and businesses that have suffered small or large loss from water, flood, wind, storm, fire damage and smoke disaster.
Storm Damage Repair
Storm Damage Repair
The professionals at SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach have you covered with our full service storm damage repair service. We're a preferred vendor for major insurance companies and work with your adjuster to ensure your repairs are quickly and thoroughly completed.
I have storm damage. What do I do now?
Once you have called your family to let them know you're safe, the next phone call should be to SERVPRO. Our certified technicians will arrive at your home, ready to inspect every inch of your property, from roof to ground. After a thorough evaluation is conducted, we will sit with you and explain what we have found. We will also inform you of your rights as an insurance policy holder and list out what the next steps will be. We understand that storms are stressful. We will sit with you while you speak to your insurance company and begin the claims process. With a claim number in hand, we can go to work.
Does SERVPRO work with all insurance companies?
As a preferred vendor with all major insurance companies, we have the insurance claim process down to an art. After we conduct an initial inspection and you make a claim with your insurance company, our representative will be present when your insurance company sends an adjuster to your home. We will obtain a copy of their report and match it with our own. SERVPRO goes off the industry standard estimate software(xactimate) that ensures our bids reflect an insurance company's exacting requirements.
You will be informed every step of the way,our professional inspectors, representatives and adjuster will do the hard work for you. SERVPRO
will do whatever it takes to help our clients get their homes back to preloss conditions, we're here to make it "like it never even happened"
Wildflowers are in full bloom thanks to recent SoCal rain
Southern California wildflowers are everywhere thanks to all the rain we had this past winter. Beautiful, colorful, blooms are popping up along the side of the highways, hillsides, deserts & valleys and will continue to do so throughout the year!
Whether you’re looking to take a hiking trip or a day trip, there are many options when it comes to seeing Southern California wildflowers.
Below is a list of great locations to marvel at these delicate, blooming beauties in & near Los Angeles county:
1. Antelope Valley California Poppy Reserve - According to the reserve's most recent wildflower report, the hills are brightly colored green and Grape Soda Lupine are beginning to bloom. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=627
2. Anza Borrego Desert - Anza-Borrego Desert is expecting a super bloom thanks to the wet season. Many flowers have already began to bloom in this area, including Phacelia, Desert Dandelion, Desert Chicory, many red Pygmy Stonecrop as well as Filaree, Popcorn Flower, Poppies and Fiddlenecks. https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=638
3. Palos Verdes Peninsula – Here you'll see fiddlenecks on the east side of the Chandler Preserve, where monarch butterflies hang out, as well as deerweed, poppies and more. Lupines can be seen at White Point Nature Preserve, while hiking the Mariposa, Flying Mane and Basalt trails in Palos Verdes Nature Preserve will lead you to red paintbrush. You'll also find blooms of California bush sunflower, mariposa lilies and wild hyacinth
across the peninsula. - http://pvplc.org/
4. Point Mugu State Park - There are roughly 900 native plants growing on the Santa Monica Mountains, so you're bound to find wildflowers on any trail in the area. However, if you're looking for a spectacular sight, head to Point Mugu State Park and Rancho Sierra Vista. - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=630
5.Malibu Creek State Park - There are many reasons to hike in this area! There’s an alien rock formation, the M*A*S*H site…. & now spring and early summer provide more flowery motives. You'll find goldfields, owl's clover and annual coreopsis near the legendary TV site and along the Lost Cabin Trail. But what's more exciting is what could happen along Backbone Trail between Kanan and Latigo Canyon. According to Behrens, that section of the Backbone Trail could become a spectacular site if its hummingbird sage blooms this year. If it does, expect to see that around the end of May or early June. - http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=629
6. Idyllwild Nature Center - Wildflowers are such a big deal here they have an entire festival around them. The Idyllwild Wildflower and Art Show will take place this year on Saturday, May 27, and Sunday, May 28—just in time for the region's peak wildflower season.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach wishes you and you’re family sunshine and adventure this Spring & Summer. Explore safely!
SoCal Storm Watch
Series of Storms hit Southern California
The first of three storms to sweep through Southern California flooded parks and created dangerous driving conditions Thursday morning, but the second round heading to the region on Friday is expected to be even more powerful.
Thursday morning's storm flooded Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach, caused serious flooding at the Vero Lofts building on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, and created cascades of water in the Laurel Canyon area.
In the mountains the storm brought snow, which created great skiing conditions but dangerous road conditions. Chains were required for vehicles heading into the San Bernardino Mountains.
The second of three storms slamming the Southland hit early Friday morning, along with temps in the low 60s and below.
Heavy rain in the morning will likely turn to steady rainfall until the late afternoon hours.
Friday evening and Saturday are expected to be mostly clear, but a third storm is expected to drench SoCal again Sunday and Monday, bringing 2-3 inches of rain and possible flooding in the burn areas.
Friday, Los Angeles and Orange counties should see 1-2 inches of rain, with a high temperature of 61 degrees.
The valleys and Inland Empire will see heavier rainfall, with up to 2 1/2 inches. There will be a high temperature of 57 degrees.
A winter storm warning has been issued for the Los Angeles and Ventura county mountain areas. The warning expires at 6:30 a.m. Saturday.
Beaches will also see rain Friday, with 4-7 feet surf and a high temperature of 60 degrees.
Ocean and bay water advisories have been issued for the possibility of elevated bacteria in the water connected to storm and urban runoff.
Mountains could see about 5-10 inches of snowfall at the 5,000-foot elevation, with a high temperature of only 32 degrees. More snow as well as rain is expected through the weekend.
By the time the series of storms finishes, the mountains could see a total of 2 feet or more of snow at higher elevations.
Anyone traveling to the mountains should make sure they have chains on their vehicles.
Deserts will see rain and wind with a high temperature of 49 degrees.
Drive safe SoCal! - From your friends at SERVPRO of Redondo Beach.