Recent Mold Remediation Posts
How Can Mold Affect Your Contents?
SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach is dedicated to preserving our community’s properties. We do not take for granted that a house is not just a structure. It is a home and a sanctuary and you can count on us to treat it as such. However, the structure is not the only thing that can become affected by disasters such as water, mold, and fire damage. One must be aware of how our contents may be affected in such disasters. Here are some factors involved with possibly affected contents.
Inspection and Determining it Can Be Restored
Determining if an object can be restored is based on:
- How long has it been exposed
- The type of material the object is
Options for Affected Contents:
- Restore: Items that are deemed salvageable can be restored and returned.
- Dispose: Items that are deemed unsalvageable must be disposed of. Oftentimes this is the case with MOLD affected objects.
Avoiding Mold on Contents:
- Be aware of what objects are near leaks or water damage affected materials.
- Move contents away so they do not become affected.
- Use a cement block to keep furniture from touching water or mold affected flooring.
Should you have any doubts, call SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach today at 310-939-9293!
What is Mold Remediation?
Every incident of mold is unique and treatment measures vary based on the extent and severity of the damage.
Our qualified and certified technicians respond to water damage situations every day. It is for this reason that we are aware of the importance of a quick response to water damage incidents before mold has a chance to develop. While every incident of mold is unique and treatment measures vary based on the extent and severity of the damage, there are a few common factors in the process.
Mold Damage Remediation Factors:
- Inspection and damage assessment: This allows us to determine the extent of the mold damage in order to create a treatment plan.
- Mold Containment: It is important that we contain and isolate mold affected materials (wall, floor, ceiling, etc) from non affected areas.
- Air Filtration: Our state of the art equipment captures microscopic mold spores and removes them from the air to prevent it from being breathed in.
- Antimicrobial or antifungal treatment: This is placed after mold has been removed to prevent regrowth.
As I have mentioned, every mold situation is unique and requires a unique course of treatment. Please feel free to call SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach for any water and mold remediation needs at 310-939-9293.
Quick Facts Relating to Mold & Mold Growth
We are committed to helping our beach city communities in preserving their dream homes. Call us at 310-939-9293.
Here at SERVPRO Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach we pride ourselves on not only assisting with mold remediation, but educating community members on the topic, as well. We are providing some helpful facts about mold so the community and their properties are better prepared in preventing these unpleasant occurrences.
- Mold spores are a naturally occurring material. They can enter through the home via open doors, windows, and vents. Mold spores can even make their way into our home through our clothing, shoes, and pets.
- Mold spores can be harmless but the risk of growth occurs when these spores attach themselves to materials with high moisture levels. This leads to mold development.
- What does mold look like? It can be spotty, it can come in different colors, and is usually accompanied by a musty odor.
When dealing with water damage, the risk of mold is inherent. We are committed to helping our beach city communities in preserving their dream homes. Concerned about mold or water damage? Call us at 310-939-9293.
Mold in your Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, or Hermosa Beach Home
Coming across mold inside of your property is a distressing sight but SERVPRO of Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach is here to help.
Coming across mold inside of your property is a distressing sight but SERVPRO of Redondo Beach and Manhattan Beach is here to help. Here are some commonly used approaches to remediating mold damage when you schedule with us.
What to Expect for your Beach City Home:
- Moisture mapping: Mold and mildew growth is the outcome of water damage that has been left stagnant. One of the first things our technicians will want to assess is whether there is still excessive moisture to the structure. If this is the case, we address the moisture to prevent the mold from expanding. This can also help to find out if there are any active leaks that need to be repaired.
- Sanding: Sanding down the affected materials will remove the mold from the structure. We also set up a containment that will keep the spores from traveling to other parts of the property.
- Reliable Equipment: Our certified technicians use High Efficiency Particulate Air vacuums to remove mold spores and particles. They also wipe down the surface and apply antimicrobial gel to prevent any regrowth.
- Help: When you use SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach, you can expect to receive good service, prompt updates, and sincere care for your sacred space.
What to Expect From SERVPRO Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect mold in your office or home you're more than likely to call different companies to see what the process is and how much it's going to cost...
Here at SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach we have our certified technicians that deal with mold remediation on the daily, helping countless property owners with their mold issues.
What Exactly Is Mold Remediation?
Mold remediation has different steps depending if there's visible mold or suspicion of mold.
Suspected Mold: If you suspect mold but can't see it with the naked eye, we would get a third party company involved to provide air samples within the suspected areas to be tested for mold spores.
Visible Mold: For visible mold, we would schedule an assessment with our certified technician to provide an estimate and a plan of action.
- Assessment: SERVPRO tech will perform moisture check in suspected areas, thoroughly search your home for mold, looking at areas that most commonly have issues with mold.
- Testing: Test for non visible mold to get a report and the correct treatment from the lab results.
- Results/Plan of Action: When the results come back with the suggested plan of action, our team of professionals will come up with a treatment plan based on their findings during the assessment, and the lab results from the third party company.
- Treatment: Leakes and pipes must be fixed, windows must be sealed, anything that caused moisture to build and cause mold growth must be situated before mold remediation begins. Drywall or wood foundations may be replaced, wallpaper or flooring materials may be replaced. Antimicrobial solution will be used to deep clean the area, and then some time to properly dry out the area to prevent it from happening again.
- Final Process: After a few days if mold hasn't grown back, reconstruction can begin.
Mold Inspection Before Buying Property.
When you're in the market to purchase property its always important to know what setbacks the property has. The last thing you want is to purchase a home and come across mold in hidden places throughout the property.
You would want to purchase a safe home for your family and loved ones to live in and not worry about health concerns. Mold isn't always easy to detect and can sometimes be difficult to see with the naked eye. Down below are some common areas to inspect for mold growth.
- The attic/basement are well known areas for mold growth.
- Look around sink pipes, underneath kitchen and bathroom sinks and other plumbing pipes.
- Crawl spaces (underneath the house)
- Rooms with poor ventilation
- Underneath/behind refrigerators
- Around air conditioning units
- Underneath carpet if carpet got wet.
What To Do If You Do Come Across Mold Before Buying Property???
So you fell in love with the property, its perfect for your family and you're really considering to purchase the home. The only problem is that you came across or suspect that the property might have mold growth.
We would highly recommend to not waste time and hire a professional to contest the home. Spending money to hire a professional can save you $thousands$ of dollars in mold remediation work in the future.
SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach has responded to countless mold inspections. Our team has helped various families with peace of mind knowing that their family is moving into a healthy environment.
We would be happy to take a look at your potential home and inspect it for any signs of mold growth. Please call our team to schedule inspection and see how we can help!
Is Mold Making You Sick?
SICK OF MOLD
We've all witnessed mold appear in our homes sometime in our live's, whether its in our attics, basements, bathroom's, we see it everywhere.
When we see mold, we are disgusted and worried for our loved ones health. The last thing you want is your new born baby girl/boy breathing in these toxic microscopic mold spores while taking a nap.
Should you find a little mold in your home that's under 10 square feet, we have some home remedies to properly get rid of your mold issue.
- The best way to eradicate mold is to clean and dry the surface properly.
- In case of green or black mold removal on wooden surfaces, place those wooden objects in the sunlight.
- Few cleaning agents used for mold removal affects your wall and wooden surfaces. So use wood polish after mold removal process.
Vinegar is a great fungicide to remove mold from any surface. The best part about vinegar is that it does not stain the walls. There will be no side effects if you treat a particular surface with vinegar. Add Vinegar in a spray bottle,spray surface and wipe down with a damped towel. Repeat applying vinegar to the area until molds disappear from the area entirely. Use white distilled vinegar for the best results.
investing in a good dehumidifier is recommended. Get the best dehumidifier available at the market and use it regularly to control mold growth.
Should you come across a large amount of MOLD... Call SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach (310) 939-9293
PPE FOR MOLD (Personal Protective Equipment)
Skin and Eye Protection
Gloves protect the skin from contact with mold, as well as from potentially irritating cleaning solutions. Long gloves that extend to the middle of the forearm are recommended. The glove material should be selected based on the type of substance/ chemical being handled. If you are using a biocide such as chlorine bleach, or a strong cleaning solution, you should select gloves made from natural rubber, neoprene, nitrile, polyurethane, or PVC. If you are using a mild detergent or plain water, ordinary household rubber gloves may be used.
To protect your eyes, use properly fitted goggles or a full face piece respirator. Goggles must be designed to prevent the entry of dust and small particles. Safety glasses or goggles with open vent holes are not appropriate in mold remediation.
Respirators protect cleanup workers from inhaling airborne mold, contaminated dust, and other particulates that are released during the remediation process. Either a half mask or full face piece air-purifying respirator can be used. A full face piece respirator provides both respiratory and eye protection. Please refer to the discussion of the different levels of remediation to ascertain the type of respiratory protection recommended. Respirators used to provide protection from mold and mold spores must be certified by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). More protective respirators may have to be selected and used if toxic contaminants such as asbestos or lead are encountered during remediation.
As specified by OSHA in 29 CFR 1910.134 individuals who use respirators must be properly trained, have medical clearance, and be properly fit tested before they begin using a respirator. In addition, use of respirators requires the employer to develop and implement a written respiratory protection program, with worksite-specific procedures and elements.
While conducting building inspections and remediation work, individuals may encounter hazardous biological agents as well as chemical and physical hazards. Consequently, appropriate personal protective clothing (i.e., reusable or disposable) is recommended to minimize cross-contamination between work areas and clean areas, to prevent the transfer and spread of mold and other contaminants to street clothing, and to eliminate skin contact with mold and potential chemical exposures.
Disposable PPE should be discarded after it is used. They should be placed into impermeable bags, and usually can be discarded as ordinary construction waste. Appropriate precautions and protective equipment for biocide applicators should be selected based on the product manufacturer's warnings and recommendations (e.g., goggles or face shield, aprons or other protective clothing, gloves, and respiratory protection).
You can always call SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach at (310)939-9293 if you ever have any questions or concerns about mold.
Does Insurance Cover Mold Removal?
SOMETHING TO TAKE IN CONSIDERATION
If you find mold in your home the first question you are probably going to ask is, does insurance cover mold removal? A home insurance policy is purchased to cover any potential damage that may occur to a home, but the problem is that many homeowners are unaware of the fact that there are potentially dangerous situations that may occur in the home that might not be covered by your insurance policy.
Insurance policies can be cumbersome and tricky when it comes to coverage details, especially if mold is involved. Most insurance policies for homeowners do not specifically cover mold damage, although there are specific situations when they will pay for mold cleanup. The general rule is that mold cleanup will be covered if it is the result of a coverable event. So for example if a pipe bursts and it causes mold, that should be covered. If you have a humidifier built into your heating system and you set it too high and it causes mold, that won’t be covered. Mold will generally not be covered if it was caused by neglect or a lack of maintenance.
Most states have limitations on the amount of mold coverage that can be paid out by an insurance company, so it is a good idea to find out if there are limitations in the state where your home is located. Also, it is common for homeowners insurance policies to not cover flood damage, or any mold that results. If your policy doesn’t cover flooding, you might want to consider having a separate policy for flood insurance. Keep in mind that almost any water intrusion into your home at the ground level would be considered flooding and not be covered.
READ THE FINE PRINT
When you are reviewing your home insurance policy, the most important thing to do is to read the fine print and understand the coverage. Ask questions of your insurance agent, such as:
- Are there limits to the insurance payout for damage that occurs to the home?
- Will mold remediation be limited to certain types of disasters?
- Will basic insurance cover mold removal, or would a higher coverage policy be better?
- Is air testing covered to confirm that all traces of the mold have been removed.
If you suspect mold in your home and would like to speak with a SERVPRO representative...
Call SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach
What is Mold?
MOLD NO BUENO
Mold is an extremely small, dangerous element that belongs to the family of fungi. It can thrive on almost any surface especially cellulose-based objects. Mold reproduces very quickly, and it can take hold in your home in no time. Once mold takes over, your health and your wallet can be impacted. The sooner you identify and remediate, the lesser the impact.
Most people hear the word “mold” and cringe. They don’t realize that molds are a very normal part of our world. Molds are present almost everywhere, Though they may be harmful at times, molds are a big part of the ecological balance in the environment, as they play a major role in breaking down organic substances.
It is only when certain types of molds get into our homes that issues arise. Though there are thousands of different mold types, only certain kinds are dangerous for humans. Mold spores easily become airborne and once inhaled, they can have major impacts on our health. Health issues range from recurring allergies to severe reactions ending in death.
Molds require moisture to grow. There are many different types of moisture sources in our homes, and all of them can produce mold if they persist. From floods to roof leaks, moisture can come from almost anywhere. According to some recent studies, approximately 50 percent of homes have unknown moisture problems. And as we all know, molds thrive best in moist places. While we may notice moisture on our walls or in our bathrooms because we frequently visit these areas, mold can often hide in the areas of our homes we don’t frequently visit such as basements, attics, and behind furniture.
To a large extent, all indoor mold growth is potentially harmful and should be removed promptly, no matter what types of mold are present or whether they can produce toxins.
Awareness and sanitation should be observed to prevent the spread of molds in your home.
Call SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach for any questions or concerns (310)939-9293
Remediation in HVAC systems
Mold begins as a small spore in the air, and when it finds a moist place, it attaches and begins multiplying.
This process is called amplification. Bacteria, mold, and mildew can all easily live off of moist areas, making the HVAC system an excellent breeding ground. Proper and thorough air duct cleaning and HVAC component cleaning is important to prevent suspect molds from circulating within the home causing the triggering of allergies and/or respiratory ailments.
Many types of molds, fungi, and bacteria can grow inside the HVAC unit where moisture and food sources exist. The areas of the evaporator coils, drain pan, supply plenum, and air ducts downstream from these components are prime areas for mold to occur.
Often, symptoms associated with mold exposure appear before you notice that you have mold in your home, and are commonly known as the “Sick Building Syndrome.” Watch out for:
- Shortness of breath
- Skin, eye, or throat irritation
- Sinus issues
Mold growth will more than likely effect anyone in your household with sensitive immune systems, asthma, and allergies first. If you are experiencing these symptoms and have not been exposed to an illness, it’s best to call mold specialist like SERVPRO for inspection and removal.
Air Quality At Workplace.
Work in progress in an office. It will soon look like it never even happened.
The quality of indoor air inside offices, schools, and other workplaces is important not only for workers' students and client's comfort but also for their health. Poor indoor air quality has been tied to symptoms like headaches, fatigue, trouble concentrating, and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
A periodic routine air quality inspection by an industrial hygienist will have positive impact on productivity of employees in workplace.
If testings are needed and then if there is any trace of microbes or mold the best thing to do is to call SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/ Manhattan Beach.
Our promise is complete mold remediation with least amount of hassle and no waste of your valuable time.
IICRC certified and following all guidelines, and using state of the art equipment for commercial buildings we keep our promise consistently.