Recent Water Damage Posts
Best Water Damage Restoration Company in The Redondo/Manhattan Beach Area
Water Damage Experts
A water main breaks and causes your basement to flood, so much water is coming out and you have no idea what to do?! TURN OFF your water main valve, (usually located outside near your water faucet) and call SERVPRO!
Water Damage Service Process and How it Works?
- A certified technician will arrive at your property and assess the situation. They will do some moisture readings to detect how much moisture you're dealing with and conduct a comprehensive analysis.
- We'll provide you with an itemized estimate to determine a plan of action and expenses to get your property back to pre loss condition.
- We are preferred vendors for most major insurance carriers. We can help you with your insurance claim. We work directly with your assigned adjuster to get a rapid response, getting you, your family, or employees back inside your property.
- Our franchise offers reconstruction making it convenient for the consumer and insurance. We are a one stop shop who does it all, restoration and reconstruction.
What to Know About Different Categories and Classes of Water Damage
Water Damage Services
Water damage can occur in a variety of different ways at any given time of the day. You could be dealing with water intrusion from different sources like a roof leak, cracked windows, flooding from rain, broken/leaking pipes, dishwasher malfunction, busted refrigerator supply line, toilet overflow, and the list goes on...
Not all water damage is the same. You have different classes and categories of water damage that need to be considered when dealing with damages to your property.
- CAT1: Classified as a clean water source. Water that has no threat to human contact. This water is coming from water supply lines, kitchen sink overflows, ice maker machines, etc.
- CAT2: This water source contains biological, physical, or chemical contaminants that expose threat to illness or discomfort if consumed or exposed to. Examples would be toilet bowl water with urine, washing machines, dishwashers, and rain water.
- CAT3: Is the worst of all categories known as "Black Water". This source of water contains unsanitary agents, harmful bacteria, and a threat to human health if exposed to and not handled properly. This source is coming from sewage backups, feces water, rising seas, rivers, lakes, water in crawlspace.
CLASS1: Slow rate of evaporation, small portion of the room was affected, low % of moisture detected in the materials.
CLASS2: Fast rate of evaporation, entire rooms carpet is affected, walls may have a bit of moisture, no more thank 24 inches of moisture on wall. Class 2 indicates when 5% to 40% of of the room is affected (ceiling, walls, floors)
CLASS3: Fastest rate of evaporation. Water source comes from overhead affecting the entire area, ceilings, walls, floors, carpet, cushion, etc. Class 3 indicates when 40% or more of the room is affected.
CLASS4: When a specific drying approach is needed due to the saturation of materials. Low specific humidity is needed to dry materials, especially porous materials like hardwood floors, concrete, plaster, all in which require low humidity levels like mentioned, to properly dry out.
Dealing With Water Damage In Your Manhattan Beach Home
Whether you're dealing with a flood, sewage backup, or extreme weather conditions at your Manhattan Beach property, we must work together as a team to ensure our loved ones, businesses, and neighborhoods are prepared and ready for the unexpected.
Are you prepared financially if a disaster strikes? Do you and your family have an emergency fund for unexpected expenses after a flood or sewage backup?
It's best to have a plan of action financially and ensure you have the right coverage in your policy with your insurance carrier.
5 Tips Dealing With Water Damage...
- Turn off the water source: Usually water damage is caused by a broken pipe, broken water heater, etc. Knowing where your water main shut off is located is critical. Do you know where your water main shut off valve is located?
- Safety First: Shut off the breakers, or unplug electrical devices in the affected areas. Make sure your kids, pets, or partner is away from any standing water.
- Contact your insurance: Call to inform your insurance the situation and see how they'll approach the water removal and restoration process.
- Protect your valuable possessions: Protect your valuable possessions first. Raise or set your furniture legs on aluminum foil or wooden blocks from the water as this can lead to mold or rot.
- Work with SERVPRO: It's so important to work with a professional restoration company like SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach. We have the proper industrial equipment to get the job done right and make it "Like it never even happened."
Avoiding Commercial Water Damage
We all know how disastrous commercial water damage can be, and how it can impact your business. Acting quickly to mitigate water damage is crucial, which is why it’s important for all businesses to know the common causes of commercial water damage. Here are some major causes of commercial water damage:
1. Broken pipes. Look for any signs of water stains in your walls, it may be from a broken pipe.
2. Leaking sprinkler systems. This is similar to a broken pipe, but at a much larger volume.
3. Damage roof. This requires regular maintenance and inspection of your roof for any damage.
4. Unsealed windows. This will allow moisture to creep into unwanted areas. Like the roof, this requires regular inspection.
If you or anyone you know has a commercial building that needs water damage mitigation or just an inspection...Be sure to contact SERVPRO of Redondo Beach!
We will help make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage Services
24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration
There’s never a convenient time for flooding or water damage to strike your home or business. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need to make it.... "Like it never even happened."
What type of water damage are you dealing with?
Category 1..2..or 3?? When dealing with water damage its crucial to know what category you're dealing with for proper mitigation.
This is defined as water that originates from a sanitary water source and does not pose substantial risk from ingestion, or inhalation exposure.
Sources of water: Water heater bursts, falling rain water, ice maker lines, Supply lines, etc.
Sources of water: Drain lines from dishwashers Washing machines, toilet overflows, broken aquariums, etc.
Gray water losses can pose a hazardous situation to occupants. SERVPRO recommends to call a trained certified technicians to assess this type of loss.
This is defined as water that is grossly contaminated and can contain pathogenic, toxigenic, or other harmful agents.
Sources of water: Toilet/sewage backups, rising river water, etc.
Flooding At The Beach
Just last weekend, Balboa Peninsula suffered a surprise flooding as a result of a full moon and high tides. By 6 PM, huge waves were crashing over the oceanfront community. It's times like these that remind us why we need to be prepared for the worst.
Here are a few quick tips if you ever find yourself in a flood situation:
1. Evacuate early if possible. Your safety is more important than any property damage that may ensue.
2. During a flood, stay off bridges or other unstable structures and move to higher ground!
3. Avoid submerging yourself in floodwater as it may contain dangerous debris.
Floods can be scary, but being unprepared is even scarier. Be sure to contact your local SERVPRO for any questions or concerns.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach is available 24/7!
24/7 Sewage Water Damage Services In Manhattan Beach, CA
Category 3 Sewage Water Loss Services.
Dealing with water damage is a nightmare for property owners, especially when dealing with polluted water. Water damage is categorized as one of three levels by how polluted the water source was that caused the damages to your property.
There are 3 categories of water damage:
Category 1: Water from a clean water source, like a refrigerator line. This water will not cause illness or any health effects.
Category 2: "Gray Water" this type of water damage carries microorganisms and nutrients of microorganisms. Water that contains a significant degree of chemical, biological, or physical contaminants and causes discomfort or sickness when exposed or consumed.
Category 3: Water that is highly contaminated. Contact can cause severe illness or death. Think sewage backup, an overflowing toilet, or storm waters.
Water damage can be dangerous and expensive, preventing water damage is an important part of property maintenance.
It's always important to react fast and clean up as best as you possibly can. When dealing with sewage water we highly suggest to immediately call the professionals over at SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach to help make it "Like it never even happened." Our highly trained certified technicians will even help you with your insurance claim process to ensure that you get the help you deserve.
If you need immediate assistance you can call SERVPRO of Redondo/ Manhattan Beach at any time. We are available 24/7/365 to assist with your emergency situation.
CALL US TODAY! (310)- 939-9293
Tips For Restoring Damaged Photos
Sometimes our valuable belongings can be affected by water damage. When precious photos become wet, this can cause some panic. The initial reaction tends to be that they are completely ruined, but this is not the case!
Mold will start to grow within 72 hours of contact with water so you will have to act fast. The ideal scenario is that you are able to air dry photos with some sort of fan or blowdryer. If this is not possible, you'll want to freeze the photos instead.
If there are any photos inside glass or metal frames, remove them before placing them in the freezer. Before you start freezing the photos, make sure to put waxed paper between each photograph. This will help ensure they don’t stick together.
Knowing what to do when valuables get damaged is important to salvaging them!
If you are interested in learning more or would like a professional opinion, don't hesitate to contact us today! We're ready to make it "Like it never even happened."
Recent California Storm During COVID19 and Residual Moisture has Preventable Undesired Consequences
Here at SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/ Manhattan Beach we stay open and operational 24 hours a day, 7 days of the week during the Stay at Home order to respond for any emergency water damage cleanup and drying of the structure of your home.
It is a fact that any untreated water damage to a structure of a building is in favor of development of mold and other microorganisms harmful to our general health. It is advised to cleanup and to dry the structure of the building as soon as possible to mitigate future damage.
Recent stay at home and social distancing during the COVID19 pandemic may prevent many to consider this important fact and ignore the importance of mitigating the loss that moisture of this storm caused to our residences and businesses.
Here at SERVPRO we would like to inform all members of our community, and assure them that when you call us, our highly trained, certified, and dependable crew that is screened everyday for safety and health everyday, before start of their work. They will show up at your loss site with PPE (preventive protective equipment). Which means they are wearing clean uniforms, mask and gloves, an overall if necessary. Our equipment is being disinfected at every job site before taking them back to our vehicles, which those too, as well as our warehouse, are disinfected on daily maintenance schedule.
Our crew respects social distancing during work and will take every precaution for our customers and their own safety.
To prevent development of unwanted mold after this storm, treat every water damage as early as possible by SERVPRO at 310-9399293.
Water Damage Prevention
Water damage can happen at any time, but there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances.
1. Become familiar with your indoor plumbing. Check in on your hoses and faucets for any leaks. Or consider investing in a leak detection and shut off system!
2. Be sure the outside of your home is secure as well! This means checking on window seals, possible roof leaks, and any other water prone areas.
3. Reduce moisture in your room to avoid mold buildup. Proper ventilation and cleaning of affected areas (usually the bathrooms/kitchen) can be essential to fighting mold growth.
These are just a few tips to prevent water damage, but they can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
If you or anyone you know is interested in learning more about how to properly prepare your home, don't hesitate to reach out! We're open 24/7 @ 310-939-9293.
Emergency Water Extraction Services in The Cities of Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach & Manhattan Beach
Emergency Water Extraction in The South Bay
If you are ever in need of water extraction services we are available to help 24/7! You will receive an immediate response from our IICRC certified technicians if a situation arises after hours. We are ready to respond at (310) 939-9293
We understand these situations can be overwhelming, but we're prepared to make it "Like it never even happened."
For the quickest recovery, be sure to keep our contact information at the ready. Any delays could result in more property damage.
Give us a call if you have any questions or concerns, we will be happy to be of service!
SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach
811 N Catalina, Redondo Beach CA, 90277
Tips for Water Damage Emergencies
Happy Holidays everyone!
In case of an emergency, follow these tips to help make it seem "Like it never even happened"
1. Gather local contacts including the fire department, your insurance company, and your local SERVPRO. This is the first step to take after an emergency occurs.
2. Next, locate your water shut off valve. This is critical to mitigating water damage.
3. If water is coming from light fixtures or electrical outlets, shut off your electrical box/circuit breaker.
4. Safely gather valuable belongings.
5. Identify the source of water damage and begin to remediate if possible.
These are some of the best practices when it comes to your safety and reducing damage. With some preparedness, we can bounce back from disaster and make it "Like it never even happened."
The California Department of Consumer Affairs has tons of information regarding tenant laws. If your rental unit needs repairs, it's the landlord’s responsibility to complete those repairs under the implied warranty of habitability. If it is dangerous at all to stay in your home, your landlord is legally required to find a solution.
This is an important piece of information for anyone currently renting out a property. Knowing what you're responsible for is extremely valuable when disaster strikes. The last thing you want is to get swindled by a sketchy landlord!
If you do find yourself in this situation, according to landlord-tenant law, tenants may withhold rent, move out without 30 days notice, sue the landlord, call health inspectors, or exercise the right to “repair and deduct.”
Know your rights!
Earthquakes Causing Damage In California
A couple days ago, President Trump declared a state of emergency in California due to a series of earthquakes originating from the Ridgecrest area. Trump ordered that additional equipment and resources be immediately sent to local authorities.
Earthquakes are one of the scariest natural disasters to experience. Sometimes there's not much you can do to avoid catastrophe. Common results of earthquakes include massive water and fire damage!
Luckily, SERVPRO is committed to helping people out in these situations. Set up an Emergency Ready Plan with us today and make sure you make the quickest recovery possible. The best thing you can do is to be prepared! Give us a call today or visit our website for more information.
Neglected water damage has consequences
We just had a feedback from a student tenant in a private property close to a big university in Southern California, during last heavy rain season the roof of their unit leaked and the students reported the issue to the property management. They were informed that the repair will be done soon. It has been over a month and the repair is not initiated.
This story made us think of the importance to educate our community once more: Please do not neglect water damages, no matter small or big, and even if they are not covered by your Insurance. Recommendation, and reasoning are the following,
- Getting rid of a fresh water damage costs less. As soon as the source of damage is found and water stops the intrusion, Let a professional water remediation Company like ours, remove the porous material, dry the humidity in the damaged area and repair the structure.
- When the water stays in the structure, drywall, ceiling tile, carpet or the wooden frame of your building it continues to extend the damage, Water and humidity will sip slowly but surely to the adjacent area and after a couple of days the humidity extends to a bigger area than initially affected.
- Humidity attracts mold spores, termites, insects and even bacterial spores in some areas (around kitchen sink, or bathrooms, even in bedrooms in some cases).
- After a few days of negligence, instead of a simple water damage cleanup process, the building will need a more extensive cleanup procedure, or a mold remediation.
- Consequences are for the residents of a residential building, or workers and employees of a commercial building, may it be a simple odor or a more serious health issue.
- The cleanup process will be more complicated and need longer period of time and will then cost more for the responsible party.
We would like to emphasis the importance of the issue for all residents of our community, and insist to please call us anytime, 24/7, and we will do our best to minimize the damage, and the inconvenience.
Finding and Repairing The Leak
BE AWARE OF THE STAIN
- Find the leak: Start at the stain and look around the area to find the leak. However, the leak might not be in the exact same area as the stain. You might have to go inside your walls or above the ceiling to locate the leak.
- Identify the source: Once you find the leak, follow the leak to locate the source. If there is a bathroom above the stain, the leak could be from a plumbing fixture or worn out caulk. Make sure you also check the pipes and water lines near the stain for leaks or damage. Determining the direction that the leak is moving will help you better identify the source.
- Consider the timing of the leak: The timing of the leak can help you identify its source. If the leak occurs after you take a shower or flush the toilet, the bathroom is the likely source. If the leak happens after it rains, there is likely a problem with the gutters or roof.
- Determine the quality of the water: The quality of the water can also help you find the source of the leak. You can tell the quality of the water from the look of the stain. If the stain is colorless and odor free, the source is likely a fresh water source such as a pipe or appliance line. If there is an odd color or odor to the stain, the leak may be from the roof or the bathroom.
Redondo Beach / Manhattan Beach Relative Humidity Levels
We are blessed to be living in beautiful Southern California in the beach cities of the Los Angeles County. Living along the cost is beautiful but at times can cause humidity levels to rise if you live near the coast. Due to the heat throughout the day hitting the ocean, a good amount of evaporation occurs on the surface of the ocean causing humidity levels to rise, in which causes discomfort in your property.
When seeking to drop humidity levels inside your property, SERVPRO of Redondo Beach / Manhattan Beach has the resources to help get your property back to a comfortable relative humidity level.
The ideal relative humidity for health and comfort is about 40–50%. During winter months, it may at times have to be lower than 40% RH to avoid condensation on the windows.
The First 24 Hours
What to do within the first 24 hours of emergency water damage is crucial. Whether it is caused by a broken pipe, overflowing toilet or even a sewage backup SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach is available to extract the water and dry out your property rapidly.
In order to prevent any secondary and permanent damages to any water emergency follow these steps to make certain that your water damage is managed accurately:
- Schedule for an inspection
- Extraction of water for preparation of drying.
- Monitoring the drying process to make sure the process is to appropriate industry standards.
- Final Walk-through with the property owner to certify that our drying process is to make them feel, "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/Manhattan Beach will step-by-step help you have a stress free emergency situation.
Please contact us anytime at: (310) 939-9293
Nothin' But Sand Beach Cleanup June 2019
Save The Date!
Saturday, June 15th, 2019
10:00 am- 12:00 pm PDT
Location: Redondo Beach Pier s/s, Tower Ruby
George Freeth Way on the beach next to Veteran's Park
Redondo Beach, Ca. 90277
NOTHIN' BUT SAND BEACH CLEANUP JUNE 2019-By Heal the Bay
Protect What You Love
We provide the supplies, all you need to do is register, sign a waiver, and show-up! FREE to Sign up.
- Individuals under 18: Reserve a ticket and bring a signed waiver form to the cleanup.
- Group Leaders: Register groups of 2-100 people under the Youth Group ticket type. All participants are required to sign the waiver form.
- Families: Reserve a ticket and write the names of partner/children.
- Each volunteer registers individually unless they are with a youth group or family.
SIGN a WAIVER: Sign a virtual waiver through Eventbrite.
- Help us make Nothin' But Sand a zero-waste event by bringing your own buckets, garden gloves, and reusable water bottle.
- Be prepared to be outside 2-3 hours. Beach weather can be unpredictable, so dress in layers.
If you have any questions or concerns please email the Beach Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Avoid Water Damage
Stay Dry at All Times
Water damage can be very stressful and expensive when an individual suffers from a loss. whether you have a broken pipe, water hoses, overflowing bathtubs, or broken toilets, its never a fun thing to experience. The most common causes of water damage are listed below to help avoid any water damage to your property in the near future.
- Busted Pipes/hoses is the number one source for water damage
The second most common cause of water damage? Accidents!
Overflowing bathtubs or broken toilets. The most common cause? Children! Those with kids i'm sure can relate
The third most common cause of water damage? Sewer backup!
– nasty! And the most common cause of this? Tree roots invading and clogging drain lines. Why? Because trees like the readily available fertilizer and water!
The fourth most common cause of water damage in the home? It’s long term basement humidity
What causes that? Hydrostatic pressure and aging infrastructure.
And last, but not least, the fifth most common cause of water damage? Flash flooding
This is the rarest type of water intrusion in the home. It occurs when you least expect it.
How To Read a Water Meter
Learning how to read a water meter is a fairly simple task. A water meter typically consists of various easy to read dials...
New water meters are quite simple to read. They typically have three dials or indicators:
- A leak dial, which indicates if any water is running inside the property.
- A one cubic foot dial, which measures in increments up to one cubic foot.
- A cubic foot meter, which indicates the total historical water usage for the property.
An older water meter is harder to read in that it may have multiple dials. These dials each read in different increments of cubic feet, the largest registering 1,000,000 cubic feet. To understand your total water usage, you have add the totals in each dial. In the meter shown lower in this post all seven dials must be added in order to know how many cubic feet of water have been used historically, or for a certain period of time. Older water meters do not have one register that shows the complete total of use.
What is Water Damage?
The Power of Water
Water damage describes a large number of possible losses caused by water intruding where it will enable attack of a material or system by destructive processes such as rotting of wood, growth, rusting of steel, de-laminating of materials such as plywood, and many others.
When is comes to water damage, actions need to take place immediately! the longer you wait to call a professional out like SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach, the more likely you'll be dealing with a more expensive claim and causing more damage to your property.
Is Water Damage Covered By Homeowners Insurance?
In this case, your insurance policy will likely provide coverage. Most standard homeowners policies provide protection from water damage if the cause is sudden and accidental. With our experience in the past, most home maintenance issues (like a leaking roof for example) wont be covered in a water loss.
Your Commercial Facility Has Water Damage: Now What?
Emergency Water Damage Mitigation
There are numerous situations where a commercial property might suffer extensive water damage. For example, a flood from a storm or overflowing river bank might deposit massive amounts of dirty water all over the first floor of a structure. Or, a burst/leaky pipe might cause water to collect in the spaces between the walls or floors in the structure, leading to mold growth and other issues in these hidden areas.
Whether it’s flood water damage or some other form of moisture intrusion, what should you do when the commercial property you’re inspecting has water damage?
Confirming The Extent Of Damage
One of the first things you’ll want to do when you discover signs of water damage is verify the extent of the damage. However, a simple visual check probably won’t be enough to reliably establish the full scope of the problem.
Water can soak into many building materials far from the source of the moisture intrusion without creating obvious signs of damage for a long time. So, to accurately establish how far the water has spread, you need a specialized tool for measuring moisture in building materials—such as a moisture meter for building inspection.
Using a moister meter, you can measure the moisture content (%MC) of the materials near where you noticed the water damage. By continuing to make checks progressively farther from the site of the damage, you can establish how widespread the damage is as well as the severity of the moisture intrusion.
With this information, you’ll be able to determine whether you need to focus on drying out the affected materials, or simply tear them out so they can be replaced with undamaged materials.
Contacting a Water Damage Restoration Expert
If you’re inspecting your own property and do not have experience in water cleanup/restoration work, it may be a good idea to contact a water damage restoration expert to handle the task of dry-out/tear-out for you. This is because water damage remediation work can be too delicate or dangerous for someone without specialized experience or training to risk.
For example, a professional in water damage restoration is likely to have the right tools and experience to minimize their risks from hazards such as mold spores, exposure to fiberglass insulation, and weakened floors that may collapse—all of which are common hazards in water cleanup and restoration work. Additionally, an expert is more likely to be able to successfully complete dry-out tasks in a way that minimizes the overall damage and risk of future problems.
Trying to handle dry-out and tear-out work without the requisite training and experience can lead to problems— Be sure to contact SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach at (310)939-9293 to get the job done right!
5 Most Common Causes of Water Damage in your Home
1. Air Conditioner
Your air conditioner might seem to be working just fine, but it’s important to adhere to regular service dates (at least once each year) to ensure nothing is malfunctioning behind the scenes. Your A/C removes moisture from the air, and sometimes that moisture builds up within the A/C itself. If not properly drained, that water could be slowly leaking into your home – potentially ruining the flooring and drywall and, in many cases, introducing mold.
Dishwashers are another possible culprit of water damage in your home. Your dishwasher can cause water damage if not properly sealed, meaning that the latch is broken, or if it was loaded with the wrong soap. Make sure that any leaks are immediately addressed and that your dishwasher is repaired or replaced ASAP, so you can avoid costly water damage repairs to your kitchen.
3. Washing Machine
Perform regular checks on your washing machine, inspecting beneath the unit as well as behind it. Make sure all fittings are securely connected, and that the underbelly of the washing machine isn’t leaking any water beneath the unit. If you have an older washing machine that gives you frequent issues, consider replacing it altogether.
4. Leaking Pipes
It might seem obvious, but water damage in the home is often caused by leaky pipes. Let’s pretend that you have a loose-fitting pipe under the kitchen sink or in the bathroom, and you’ve just recently noticed water pooling in that area. Don’t wait to call a plumber – a leak in one place in your home could signify leaks in other areas, too. If you notice spikes in your water bill, a leak is likely present and needs to be addressed before additional damage is caused to your landscaping, foundation, flooring, or other areas of the home.
5. Clogged Drains
Clogged drains aren’t just annoying, they also cause water damage (and mold growth) if left unchecked. If your toilet is clogged, it means that not only can you not use the toilet, but you will likely also experience water backing up into the shower, sinks, or bathroom floor. Sewer water is extremely dangerous because it contains raw sewage and bacteria, and must be cleaned up by a professional. If your kitchen sink drain is backing up, you can experience sink overflow and subsequent damages to your kitchen flooring and cabinetry. Make sure to seek professional help when experiencing frequent drain clogs so you don’t have to deal with water damage to your home on top of the clog itself.
So there you have it – the five most common causes of drain clogs in the home. Don't forget to store our emergency contact number in your smartphones, in case you ever deal with one of these situations... (310)939-9293 SERVPRO of Redondo/Manhattan Beach
5 Signs Your Sprinkler System is Leaking
Keep a look out
Sprinkler system's are installed to help you save time, money, and energy. So what happens if it springs a leak? How would you even notice since the main components of the system are buried under the lawn?
A leak can cost you a lot of money. Not only can it increase your water bill, but it may also cause damage to your lawn, landscaping,concrete,or even your home. To keep an eye out, it’s important to understand the signs that indicate a leak is happening. Here are the top signs that your sprinkler has sprung a leak and what you can do about it.
- The grass is unusually wet. When you walk through your lawn on a non-rainy day, do you feel squishing under your feet? If so, this isn’t normal and probably indicates a leak. You might notice more around the sprinkler valves or areas where important connections are buried. This could just manifest as wet grass, but you may also see bubbling from the ground.
- The concrete is wet. If it hasn’t rained and you see a wet spot on your concrete walkways or patio, it may also indicate a leak from your sprinklers. If it can’t be explained rationally, it might be time to contact a professional to get a better understanding of what’s going on underground. Excess water can damage concrete over time, so getting it repaired quickly will save you a huge headache in the end.
- Erosion near your sprinkler heads. Something you might not spot right away is erosion near the sprinkler heads. If it looks like the ground is caving in or something has been digging around the sprinklers, it probably isn’t squirrels or a neighborhood dog. Check for a leak and contact a professional to take a closer look.
- Unexplainable fungus growth. Another indicator of too much moisture due to a leak is fungus. Are there mushrooms around your system? Or growing on the base of trees that might be near buried lines? Mushrooms aren’t natural in a suburban or landscaped environment and are a sure sign that something isn’t quite right with your system.
- Your water bill has spiked. Of course, your primary indication may not be physical at all. If you noticed that your water bill has increased significantly, you’ll need to look at a number of factors. Providing your daily use hasn’t spiked for an explainable reason, it could be your sprinkler. Rule out any issues within the home, such as a leak in your plumbing, toilet, dishwasher, or washing machine. If those seem normal, check out your sprinkler system for the culprit.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach passes along tips to minimize the cost of Water Damage
We need rain in Southern California. While many will agree that the extra rain we had this season was a great change in climate… the worst part about our recent storms might be that much of the damage isn’t covered by insurance without flood coverage.
Now that the wet weather is gone, many homeowners are left wondering how to recover. If you’re dealing with flood damages, here are things you can do to minimize the costs of restoring your home.
There’s a good probability that the water affecting your home has been contaminated or is sewer water. Also, depending on how soon you get started, mold can be beginning to grow! Protective wear such as masks, gloves, & work boots should be worn.
Remove Damaged Belongings From Your Home
First, gather all damaged items & move them out to the curb. This task can be pretty nasty and time consuming, however if you feel you can get some of this done yourself, you will save some money. No time? Water mitigation professionals such as SERVPRO of Redondo Beach will do this for you.
In the event that the amount of water is minimal, you can grab a shop vacuum from your local store and extract as much water as you can yourself. If the amount of water in a home is too much to remove on your own… again, SERVPRO is here to help.
Please be advised, based on the year of your property was built, you may need to test for asbestos before you begin demo. Afterwards, if all is clear, you can personally remove affected flooring and drywall. Carpet and padding can be lifted and taken out of from your home. Affected baseboard and/or drywall can be cut out and trashed. Typically, with water loss, tile floors should be removed since its likely that water has gotten under tiles.
Clean & Disinfect
Once the water and wet contents are removed, it’s time to clean/ disinfect floors and walls. Pine Sol or Lysol mixed with equal part water will work fine. You may want to go over everything twice to be sure all remaining germs are gone from your home. It’s also common to use bleach for disinfecting, many professionals use green products that are very effective and safe to use as well. You should read the labels and wear gloves even if you are using green products.
Get the Air Moving
It only takes 48–72 hours for bacterial and mold growth to begin to spread. If a large amount of microbial growth develops, it can increase remediation costs by thousands of dollars. It’s very important that the drying process start ASAP. Although box fans and dehumidifier are no competition for professional equipment, they can definitely help. Place several fans and a dehumidifier throughout the affected area. You may still need professional such as SERVPRO of Redondo Beach to completely dry out the affected areas but the less time you need professional equipment, the more money you keep in your pocket.
Basements, closets and attics often become a place for those things that don’t get used regularly. Take time at least once a year to go through your these areas and get the old clothing and random clutter to the recycling bin. Should the time come, you’ll be glad that mess is not an issue.
Put Items Up High
Boxes and items on the floor can create one big problem when dealing water damage. It’s a great idea to invest metal or plastic shelving units. Wood is easily cleaned but may not be salvageable I affected.
Storing In Bins
Using plastic or rubber bins as a means of storage is a smart idea. They provide an inexpensive and organized option for belongings you want to save. Be sure to secure lids properly.
The best advice I can give you is to use a reputable restoration company such as SERVPRO. Especially if you simply don’t have a the time to get the work done yourself.
Every day counts when dealing with water damage… you can rest easy knowing that your home will be restored properly.. “Like it never even happened.”
Why Every Redondo Beach/ Manhattan Beach property needs an "Emergency Ready Plan"
To face a disaster our heros and our equipment are always ready. Are you ready?
Do you know of anyone who has not experienced a water damage to their home or business? hummmm.... your answer is probably no.
No matter if the building is a commercial warehouse, office, multifamily or residential single family or condo.. at some point, that building will suffer a water damage.
This natural for any building no matter the year it was built or who designed it, or which construction company build it.
Do you have a plan to act fast and efficiently when it happens?
Besides the purchase of an insurance policy that will cover the cost, the owner needs to be prepared. knowledge is power!
These are the benefits of having our Emergency Ready Plan:
Which vendors to call? Do you trust them? Have you checked their contractor license? Do they have professional liability insurance? Are their employees working at your home covered in case of injury during work?
Water damage can be minimal and the work can last only 3 days in at your property. It can also be a flooding of the whole building making it impossible to live or to work in.
Do you know where to relocate your family, your office or your tenants while work is being done to repair the building?
This is why you need an Emergency Ready Plan. When this highly probable event happen, you're prepared to act fast. Then get your life and your business back to usual as soon as possible.
Call us today. Be prepared for tomorrow.
SERVPRO of Redondo Beach/ Manhattan Beach: 310-939-9293